Steven N. Berger has focused his career on resolution of complex business disputes through effective representation of clients in bankruptcy or other reorganization proceedings, loan workouts, litigation and business transactions. He co-founded the firm in 1999 after gaining experience as an associate and partner at two of Arizona's largest law firms. He has extensive experience in representing parties involved with troubled loans or troubled businesses, and has represented lenders, lessors, business owners, investors, asset purchasers, creditor committees and other parties in bankruptcy and reorganization cases. Steve has more than 25 years experience in representing clients throughout Arizona, is admitted to practice before all state and federal courts in Arizona, and before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. He is a long-time Arizona resident and business owner, providing added perspective in his work.
Assisting clients in finding creative and satisfying resolutions of legal issues related to business.
Real Estate Brokers/Developers
Owners of Closely-Held Businesses
Owners of Troubled Businesses
Advertising and Media
Asset Based Lenders
Hard Money Lenders
Hospitality and Testaurants
Printing and Publishing
Private Education and Preschools
Retail and Shopping Center Owners
Lawyer Representative, Ninth Circuit Conference (2010- Present)
State Bar of Arizona Bankruptcy Section Chair/Member
State Bar of Arizona CLE Committee Chair/Member
University of Arizona Rogers College of Law - Board of Visitors (1995 - Present)
Arizona Bankruptcy American Inn of Court – Charter member & V.P. (2010-2012)
BNA Bankruptcy Law Reporter, Member - Advisory Board
American Bankruptcy Institute - Member
Turnaround Management Association - Member
ABA Alternative Dispute Resolution Section - Member
Law Clerk for Hon. Thomas Tang, Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals (1984-1985)
Fellow, American College of Bankruptcy, 2013-Present
Best Lawyers in America, 2003-2012
Southwest Super-Lawyers®, 2007-2011
Southwest Super-Lawyers®, Best 50 Arizona Lawyers, 2011
The Business Journal, Best of the Bar, 2003-2004
AV-Rated by Martindale Hubbell®
Certified in Business Bankruptcy by American Board of Certification
- Representation of the State of Arizona in its takeover, wind-down, and transition to a new provider of the entity responsible for management of the mental health care system for Maricopa County.
- Successful restructuring through Chapter 11 of a telecommunications related business in which the shareholders were previously deadlocked and the business's very survival had been jeopardized.
- Successful negotiation and implementation for a lender client of a multi-million dollar loan to a farming operation during the borrower's Chapter 11 case.
- Representation of a creditors' committee in the Chapter 11 case of a primary school and nursery school holding company, resulting in the successful sale and spin-off of schools as going concerns, and the prosecution of actions against corporate insiders.
- Representation of a bankruptcy trustee in the successful negotiation of a transition plan among multiple parties including the City of Phoenix, secured lenders, resident groups, and creditors regarding the closing and liquidation of a senior housing project.
“Bankruptcy Law and Procedure, a Guide for the Paralegal”, Co-Author
Equality Arizona - Human Rights Individual Award 2011
Friends of the Phoenix Library
American Jewish Committee
Community AIDS Council
Arizona AIDS Project
Maricopa Community College Foundations, “Out & Up” LGBT Scholarship Fund